Saturday, February 2, 2008

Fairfield Winter Market

The Fairfield Winter Market (a new venture of the Westport Farmers Market) opened last week. It's indoors at the Fairfield Theatre Company at 70 Sanford Street, Fairfield, CT.

I finally got there today and as one who has done outdoors in New Haven, I am sure grateful for an indoor market! Of course, today it was unseasonably mild--a gentle 48 degrees. Sigh.

Some of my favorite vendors from New Haven were there: Two Guys from Woodbridge, Sankow's Beaver Brook Farm, and Beltane Farm.

Some of my favorites from other venues were there: Wave Hill Bread (Yeah!) and Goatboy Soaps.

A new vendor I met for the first time today was Ox Hollow Farm. I got some pork chops and a ham. They also have chicken (yipee!).

Westport Aquaculture had clams on the half shell and oysters. Two bakeries had delectabilities one expects from bakeries. I'm still dieting, so I tried to keep a respectable distance. One bakery, from Ridgefield (very sorry I did not get the name) had these wonderful oatmeal breakfast cookies that did not contain added sugar. All the sweetness came from apple sauce and fruit juice. Very nice.

A good time was had by all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Soph,

As always, I love this blog. I also suggested that my own blogreaders check it out, so hope you get more traffic from that! We can hardly overdo "locavorism"!

CG

Sophie said...

Thanks for the endorsement, CG. Likewise, I love your blog and your insights.

The pork from Ox Hollow Farm was delicious and I intend to post the whole meal for this week's local challenge meal.

I guess the "local challenge" isn't as challenging for you folks!

Anonymous said...

Wave Hill Breads now has a simple Website which lists where the bread is sold and how to contact the bakery. It's obvious: www.wavehillbreads.com.
We will be expanding it shortly.
Thank you for the "yeah".
Margaret