Thursday, August 14, 2008

In a Jam

Even on vacation, I can't resist foraging. I find myself collecting food, particularly items that can take me through the winter. Yesterday, we visited Dalton Farmstand, which I think is in Manchester and I got two 32 oz jars of jam (raspberry and mixed berry). They have a berry farm in another town, not too far from the farmstand. My thinking is that it's local here and I'm here and I'm already using the fossil fuels to cart myself here and back.

UPDATED (8/19/2008):
I like to put a big rounded teaspoon of berry jam on my morning yogurt. Several varieties of yogurts that have fruit also contain high fructose corn syrup (like Dannon, Columbo, and Yoplait). In the previous edition of this post, I mistakenly wrote that Stonyfield yogurt contained high fructose corn syrup. It does not. Thank you Sarah Badger for pointing that out. None of the Stonyfield yogurts contain that ingredient! My apologies to Stonyfield.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Sophie,

I work for Stonyfield Farm, and I can assure you that we do not and have never used high-fructose corn syrup in any of our products. Our organic yogurts are sweetened with naturally milled organic sugar. We list all of our ingredients right on our website www.stonyfield.com.

Best, Sarah Badger
Stonyfield Farm

Sophie said...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for setting the record straight. I updated the post. I don't know what made me think that except perhaps the day I went down the yogurt aisle reading labels and one after the other contained HFCS, I may have walked away frustrated thinking they all did. I appreciate your taking the time to provide the correct information.